I’ve completed the very first dungeon of FFXIV yesterday evening. And it was hell.
Nono, not the dungeon itself, that went like a breeze. I mean unlocking the dungeon through storyquests. Jesus Christ, what a pain in the b*tthole …
I like cutscenes, most of the time, but the quest sequence I had to go through yesterday evening in order to progress and unlock the dungeon was just over the damn top.
And I dare say, it made no f*cking sence either.
Suddenly I went from being a newby adventurer to becoming an Emissary, an then an Envoy to the ruler of the whatever. And after that some barkeeper needed my help and I got access to the dungeon. Color me unimpressed, because that made no lasting impression on me. Cutscene, loading screen, repeat repeat. The very first time FFXIV got me annoyed …
Anyway, the dungeon I eventually got to do is called Sastasha Seagrot, and it’s this thing about Pirates in a cave. Bad people who deserve to die a thousand deaths by swords and magic rockets.
Like I mentioned earlier, the run went without any problems. Good tank and good DPS makes for easy healing. I got some nice loot pieces (greens) and a unique Puglist weapon I can stuff away if I ever need it.
– The dungeon was a nice entry level dungeon. Lots of trash, some harder hitting mobs in the packs to keep you awake as a healer. Pretty nice layout, and clicky mechanics at the final boss (bubbles of water you need to click on to prevent adds or something). In all, a nice learning dungeon I believe. Can’t wait for the next one.
– The party UI (healthbars etc) kinda sucks. To small, to much information around it (castbars). Weird colors, makes my eyes hurt after staring at it for more than five minutes. I need a bigger screen of better glasses. Or find out if I can change the appearance …
– A party of 4 people is actually quite nice.
– I’m leveling pretty fast without even trying. Just focussing on the main story quest nets you a lot of XP.
– Aha, I just found out FFXIV had a character armory system like WOW. View my character on the Lodestone. It really does look like a Jedi Padawan … with cat ears … and a tail.